As the Head of the Lower School, I’m often asked what makes the Lower School a special place. This is difficult to answer in just a few words; there are just so many reasons why I think this is a special place.
We have classrooms and hallways full of joyful children who love to learn. We have families that support and nurture the educational journeys of their children while encouraging them to be good people. Our teachers consider teaching a vocation, and they genuinely respect and enjoy children. We feel strongly about the importance of providing a challenging academic curriculum while supporting the social-emotional growth of all our learners. We recognize that play is an important part of learning and celebrate the growth that occurs in music, art, PE, and foreign language classes. I could go on and on, as I have the benefit of seeing so much of what transpires here on a daily basis.
But really, what do I know? I’m just an observer! For a true test of the pulse of the Lower School, we need to ask the experts. At the start of each new school year, we invite fifth graders to apply to be Lower School Ambassadors. These students complete an application and interview for these coveted positions. Those selected become the faces and voices of the Lower School students at various events on campus. Just last week they escorted our visiting authors and illustrators around the buildings and later in the year, they will speak to prospective parents during our open houses.
During this application and interview process, the ambassador candidates were asked a number of questions. Keep reading to learn more about what these fifth graders had to say about our amazing school!
The Walker School is a special place because…
- everyone at Walker cares most about the joy that everyone shares.
- everyone is nice and caring and empathetic and welcoming. Even if you make a mistake the kind people here will accept it and help you learn from it.
- it makes you feel like you’re a part of one big family. It is also special because the teachers bend over backward to meet each student where they are.
- everyone who walks in the Walker community walks out a part of it.
- of the people. The teachers at Walker teach us so much and they commit to teach us to our fullest potential.
- kids can learn different techniques and strategies in a fun atmosphere. Our teachers encourage us to think outside the box and want us all to have a fantastic elastic brain.
- you can be yourself and can learn a lot of cool subjects. It is a place that is unique and our students and adults are unique.
- the teachers genuinely care about my progress and education. I feel safe voicing my opinions. It allows me to focus on subjects I like the best and pushes me on those I don’t.
- everyone is valued at Walker.
How are you different than before you came to The Walker School?
- I feel more valued and I’m more confident. I am now able to say ‘I don’t understand’ and I am more outgoing and friendly. Now that I’m at Walker my love of reading has been unleashed!
- I love to learn especially in math and science. Now I have many more friends who also love to learn.
- I learned to a be a leader, a good friend, and a role model.
- I am taller.
If someone is unfamiliar with Walker, what would be the most important thing you’d like them to know about your school?
- There is something for everyone at Walker. You can do sports, you can create art, or join a club.
- The teachers meet you where you are as a person to help you be the best you can be.
- It’s okay to make mistakes. People will help you learn from them.
- It’s a great place for learning.
- Everybody matters whether old or new.
- The Walker community is very diverse, and I am grateful for the chance to experience different cultures, religions, and traditions through the eyes of my peers.
- The teachers are caring and enjoy teaching. They make learning interactive and fun! They challenge us to be ourselves and make us feel accepted and loved. Walker builds character and helps us take risks.
- You would be crazy if you didn’t come to The Walker School.
I couldn’t say it better myself! Here’s to another school year filled with the wonders of Walker!